Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Woofing

Woofing, or wwoofing, is working through World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (there have been a couple of different names for this group, but this is its current iteration). You live with a family, get free food and board, and work with them on their farms. The hope is that you both gain culturally and socially, as well as learn more about farming techniques of the specific location you have chosen.

As this is my first experience, I'm unable to generalize, but it has been lovely to have been accepted into the family, and to learn how an actual beekeeper works. I don't ever want to be a professional beekeeper, but the thought of owning a single hive on a large property hasn't as yet deserted me.

In the evenings, we've gotten to participate in the lives of the family. Manon (10) had a clarinet concert and an end of year "spectacle" in which the children of the school she goes to put on a circus for parents and friends. We also went out as a family after the concert for celebratory drinks in Mirepoix, the big smoke, close to Tréziers (which really is a pretty tiny, still very medieval looking town). On quieter days we've spent evenings at home watching movies (I now can understand and watch a full French movie as long as the subtitles--in French--are on), reading stories, or just talking and having endless cups of herbal tea. This family is vegetarian, eating solely organic foods. They don't have alcohol or coffee or even black tea in the house. Honey is used almost solely in place of sugar (as you'd imagine, I guess). It's an interesting experience, and probably great for my body, but I do miss my cup of black tea in the morning. (Postnote: the other woofer, Alan, had a stash of black tea, so now I'm golden).






In addition to experiences with the family, Alan (the other woofer, who is from Brittany in France) and I  have been able to get out and about a little and visit the surrounds. We explored more of Mirepoix one day, wandered by a nearby lake, and went out for dinner one night at a questionable restaurant (the fact that the place smelled like cats should have tipped us off, but before the night was out I think we saw four different cats--not really what I want to see in a eating establishment).



More adventures to come, I'm sure.

2 comments:

  1. Hiya, Mary! I need to start commenting here, to let you know I am reading and enjoying.

    Nina suggested an article on woofing a million years ago, and I'm glad you're having the experience. Would you do it again? It sounds like it, but perhaps not on a bee farm. To bee or not to bee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the woofing, am doing it again immediately after turkey (retired chef that is constructing her dream garden and an eco-friendly swimming pool--I'm in). Also, I like the bee farm, but apparently the bees don't like me too much :) I'd do a bee farm again, but I'd choose July/August--easier on the lymph node system.

    ReplyDelete