Sunday, June 26, 2011

Busy busy bees and local cures for bee stings.

Well, this teaches me to consult topographic maps instead of just looking at road maps. On the way to the bee farm, I decided to cut a little time and take the train a wee ways, so that I could get there quicker. I could either take it to Castelnaudry, or Pamiers, and as Castelnaudry was North of Tréziers (where I'm staying) and Pamiers was West, I went with Castelnaudry. I chose this route because up until now, most of the hills have been the result of a tributary system originating from the Pyrenees, hence if you go East-West there are lots of ups and downs, and if you go North-South, there is usually more of a gradual incline. So, without looking at a proper map, I chose Castelnaudry and got on a train. Just outside of Castelnaudry, in-between the town and where I wanted to go, is a ridge that hits 400m high (in general I've been trying not to go higher than 250). I had used up much of my water and most of my energy by the time I reached the top. It didn't help that it was a beautifully hot day.


However, once over that hump, the ride was beautiful.

Close to arriving, I stopped to put on some more sunscreen beneath the shade of a tree, and suddenly a handful of angry bees descended on me. Having never had this happen before, I panicked, thinking the whole hive was attacking, and dropped my bicycle and ran up the street. Only one succeeded, but ow--the ear is not where you want to get a bee sting.

I went back for my bike, and walked it a ways up the street. I stopped the next car, to ask them to look at it to make sure that the stinger was out, and it was two lovely ladies. I then was given an antihistamine, and they filled my water bottle. They also showed me a type of ground cover that you can use the leaf as a poultice over a bee sting, and then, using both French and gestures to convey their knowledge, they informed me that if it got really bad, I should pee into a cup and pour that over myself. The woman apparently had had a bad bee sting once far from people, and her friend had had to pee on the top of her head. Hmm. This really is bee country, isn't it. Doesn't bode well for my experiences on the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment