Friday, June 17, 2011

Paris! Sarah! Parents!

I biked into Paris (having mapped out all of these small streets to keep myself from getting flattened by traffic) straight down one of the main highways through La Défense and past l'Arc de Triomphe. It was hard to deviate from roads that point towards Paris, even though I knew that there were more pleasant routes. However, it worked out fine, and it was quite satisfying to really feel like I was arriving into the Paris. Although, I expected trumpets, a red carpet and a variety of mimes throwing croissant confetti into the air. Jeez. . . I don't ask for much.


I then headed down to the Seine, and followed it, crossing onto l'Île de la Cité. My parents had rented a lovely and surprisingly affordable apartment (compared to much of Paris) on the fifth floor of a building on Rue d'Arcole with a view of Notre Dame. I arrived only a half an hour after they did, and Sarah not long after that.

The apartment was miniscule, but somehow we all managed to fit in, and we had a fabulous time.

Part way through the week my bicycle seat got stolen from outside the apartment (opposite the main French municipal police station), so Sarah was amazing and carried my bicycle up four flights of circular stairs. I was so surprised that she just did it, that I didn't get a photograph, but I do have one taken on her iPhone of me taking it back down the stairs. Ridiculous endeavour. . . but we had to keep Hedgiflora and her new seat safe.


Sarah and I did some sitting and reading/people watching/drawing. Felt very parisienne. Or not :) I definitely needed a clothing upgraded if I wanted to even think about feeling parisienne.





Mum, dad and I wandered through Notre Dame. I'd suggest going as early as you possibly can (I think we got there at about 9:30am, and it was already pretty busy, as you can see in the picture looking back out towards the crowds.





I love this picture, it makes me think of Gene Kelly in Singing in the Rain . . . although without the rain. But can't you just see him bursting out into song and dance? This was just around the corner from our apartment, and actually felt like a lovely authentic moment. For the most part, we were in tourist town, and in order to get a more real feeling for the city we needed to leave our  immediate area.

In one of these endeavours, we went to a less touristy park in Paris, Parc des Buttes Chaumont. It was a really interesting location, constructed out of an old quarry/mining area, with a cliff structure, waterfalls, and a pond. Made for good people watching.

Thanks so much to mum and dad and Sarah for visiting me. Paris is wonderful, and I expect I'll be back there before the year is out.





No comments:

Post a Comment