Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Les Andelys

I stayed two days in Les Andelys, taking a break, and making sure I arrived in Paris on the same day as my parents. It was here that I met and chatted with my first people I talked to who were also touring France by bicycles. They were from Westport (for those not from New Zealand, that's on the West Coast of the South Island). I could't believe it. . . and yet, I could. Two of the loveliest people, they'd just retired (at 42 and 50, from being air controllers in airports throughout New Zeland--take note DCites--42 and 50. Retired), and were off to cycle around France for 60 days, and perhaps end up in Monaco.

As my new found New Zealand friends were taking no days off, and planned to bike the whole duration of their trip, I sadly said goodbye and wandered around Les Andelys by myself. A beautiful holiday town, it crops up in the paintings of the impressionists, and borders the Seine.





Atop the hill behind our campground were the ruins of the Chateau-Gaillard. Richard, King of England, started construction of the fortress in 1196. This area of France has been at various times part of the Anglo-empire, and at others part of the French. There's a long and complicated history of inter-marriages, coups, wars, etc. etc. The castle was besieged several times, as its current state can attest. It was interesting wandering the ruins and looking at remnants of walls, cellars, dungeons and towers.







A beautiful town to take a bicycling break in, but mostly I was excited to get to Giverny, to see Monet's Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment