Thursday, June 16, 2011

Monet's Garden

This is one of the locations that I was most excited about visiting. So many of Monet's paintings were generated in his garden, not just of his garden, but actually painted as they say "en plein air." Along the way, I kept seeing scenes that I felt were quintessential Monet. There's something about these fields and this light that makes the landscape look impressionist even before it has been painted.



Monet's Garden is located in Giverny, and unfortunately is something of a tourist trap (darn other people who also like the things I like). However, for me, it was still more than worth it. I think I also benefited (oddly) from the fact that it was a drizzly day. The garden itself is divided into two main areas: the traditional flower gardens, and the the water gardens. Inside the house, it is fascinating to see that Monet did not choose impressionist style artworks for his home. In fact, except for his studio where he displayed his own, his house is entirely decorated with Japanese hokusai prints. It's interesting to me that he loved that which he did not do. Because I definitely do not do art in an impressionist manner... my lines and blocked off colours lends themselves more towards mosaics, stained glass and cartoons (mediums of which I've gravitated towards) . . . whereas in others, I love impressionist, post impressionist, and cubist freedom. Perhaps one day I'll move more towards that, but in the meantime I take comfort in the fact that Monet did what he did, and loved what he loved, and they needn't be the same.


I explored the traditional gardens just fine, and when I reached the water gardens, true to name, it started to rain. As it rained harder I felt like I got a more intense look into an impressionist's world. The patterns on the water were painted for me by the rain drops, and the world took on this more perfect blur.






Not the right conditions to do drawings myself, and in such a location it seems almost presumptuous to attempt my own, but perhaps sometime I'll try to give my spin on such a beautiful garden. Monet is said to have said that his garden was his real work of art.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Patricia. I can't take any credit, though. That garden would look beautiful under any conditions.

    ReplyDelete