Friday, June 10, 2011

Bruges in all its glory

I biked into Bruges via a lovely series of canals past a small village called Damme. It was a bit misty and rainy, but no less beautiful.






As my map so kindly told me: "Yeah, yeah, we know. Bruges is like a romantic movie: full of lovely canals, swans, medieval houses and pretty churches. But wake up: it's a place where people live and we don't drive in horse carriages. Time to start acting like a local!"



Despite this, here are some lovely pictures of canals, medieval houses, and pretty churches. Darn. I failed that directive.


However, as I was cycling through this area, I explored a lot of the back streets and lesser known areas of Bruges, if only because I couldn't figure my way into the city--those aforementioned canals can be a problem when you're trying to cross them, and don't as yet know the gate system!

The city began as a trade powerhouse. in the 13th, 14th, and 15th centuries. Unfortunately, Mother Nature decided to silt up the harbour, and cut it off from the sea. This meant that Bruges (at the time larger than London), basically went to sleep. In the last 100 years it has started to see a bit of growth, as land travel is opened up. Oh, and in 2009 there was apparently a movie (which I missed) called "In Bruges" that has the quote "If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me. But I didn't, so it doesn't." Since this, more tourists (presumably hipsters) have flooded the town.



All in all, actually one of the best places I have visited in Europe so far. I loved the hostel I was staying in, and managed to mix well with a variety of people, all friendly and interesting. The town is beautiful, walkable, and really does have fantastic chocolate. The chocolate shops are these beautiful artistic stores where one feels terribly bad to eat such beautiful masterpieces, until one does. I especially enjoyed looking at what they decided to make out of the chocolate. Asparagus, anyone?



I bought water colours in Bruges, that I should have had for my entire journey . . . but had decided I needed to minimize the things I was carrying. Bad decision. The art is necessary.


Beautiful city, wonderful time.

No comments:

Post a Comment