Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Tour de France

I hadn't planned on going to the Tour de France. However, I was in the heart of Toulouse, and talk was all of the Tour. It was going to be fairly close to the city for two days of racing, and all of my hostel mates were planing on going. Around the city you could see promotional vehicles and support staff. Bicycles were far higher in number than I had been seeing up until then.

I decided to join my hostel mates on the second day of watching the tour, on a leg in the Pyrenees. Bel and Adam from Australia, had rented a car to be able to go sit at the summit of the race, and watch the cyclists as they shifted from climbing to descending at speed. To get to the race was a bit of a mission, having 6 maps, none of which were at a good scale, or inclusive of the whole route. With a combination of stress and map-reading terror, and following a swag vehicle, we managed to make our way there.

As we got closer, the air of festivity increased. People where making their way in all manners--on foot, on bike, motorcycles, cars, caravans/mobile homes. It was a temporary city on the top of a mountain range. Picnics, wine, and deck chairs were out in numbers.


We sat ourselves on the top of a hill, bought hotdogs of sorts from an enterprising vendor, and proceeded to wait 5 hours before the race actually started (they close off the access roads at a certain time, so we had to be there very early). About 2 hours before the race the caravans with free hats, food, and general junk came along the route, which helped to break up the time.

I enjoyed watching all of the race-goers almost as much as the participants.


As the time got even closer, flags were brought out, photographers on motorcycles zoomed past to get situated for that perfect shot, and helicopters started to circle like vultures.



And then, it was on. The race!



And then it was over before I knew it. I still don't know who was leading, what the strategies were, or any of the details that really make a sporting event interesting. But I had a lovely time with Bel and Adam chatting and experiencing a new event. To be perfectly honest, the thing I was most excited about was to be at that elevation on the Pyrenees without having to cycle it myself! A beautiful view, and really makes me appreciate all those people who walk it as part of the pilgrim trail every day, and those in the past who had to cross it for less leisurely reasons.



No comments:

Post a Comment