Friday, July 15, 2011

Biking the Canal du Midi

The Canal du Midi is one half of a whole that links the Atlantic to the Mediterranean. The canal stretches from the city of Toulouse across to Sète, a port city.


I started cycling on the Canal du Midi in Carcassonne, and biked westward to Toulouse. I expect later I'll probably do the Carcassonne to Sète portion as I cycle towards Provence. The canal itself is architecturally interesting, consisting of 99 locks, controlling the raising and lowering of boats along the varied topography of that region. I enjoyed watching the boats emerge from the locks, or wait for the water to drain before they move forth. The attitude of those on the boats definitely appeared to be one of leisurely celebration. I can imagine that a holiday trip along the canal could be quite enjoyable, especially with a fun group of people.




For cycling, a canal is usually a good bet, because it follows the path of least resistance (usually), flowing through valleys as opposed to hills. In addition, this particular canal has been planted with trees for most of the length of it, making for a pleasant ride; at this time of year it can get pretty hot in the sun. As this is the time of year for sunflowers, sometimes I'd be cycling with the canal on one side and a mass of yellow flowers on the other.

The terrain is variable, in some places nicely packed earth or pebbles, others completely paved (especially closer to Toulouse), and in others still barely more than a worn rut complicated by roots and rocks, along the side of the canal. Bumpy for long distances. My bicycle set up with panniers fared well, but I wonder how others did with trailer setups, especially in places where they contended with two-way traffic.


No comments:

Post a Comment