Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Blue Mosque

Built in the early 17th century for Sultan Ahmet I, the Blue Mosque (or the Sultanahmet Mosque) is a beautiful center for prayer in the old city area in Istanbul.


As you walk in, there is a wide, open courtyard, beautifully designed. The doors, columns, domes, and decorations all are larger than life.


Inside, you see why it was named the Blue Mosque. It has more than 20,000 pieces of blue, green and white iznik china on the interior walls. There is also blue calligraphy decorating the interrior domes.

I came outside of the call-to-prayer times, so as to be able to see the building more clearly, and not disturb local religious practices. However, there were a handful of people praying at different times throughout my visit. What a beautiful location to do so. My only complaint? An overwhelming smell of feet from all of the tourists on such a hot day (to be respectful every person takes off their shoes before entering the mosque).

The doors were intricately carved and absolutely beautiful.

On my way out of the complex, I caught this picture. It made me think of the National Geographic photographers of years past looking for that splash of red in the crowd. If only I had the skills to fully capitalize on the buildings and people and views I've been lucky enough to see over the last six months. I guess I can only try.

No comments:

Post a Comment