Sunday, July 17, 2011

The infographical half-year mark, brought to you from Turkey.

Six months ago today was my last day of work in the office at National Geographic. In those months, since leaving my home, "security," and my sedentary life behind . . .

I've stood on 5 continents, cycled across countries, visited wonders of the world, spoken words in many languages, participated in celebrations, marriages, and festivities of cultures different from my own, worn local clothing, and taken all forms of interesting transportation.

All of these experiences can be quantified and explored, and being at the halfway mark for this year, and the six month mark for my journey, I wanted to do some reflecting on this experience. Plus, my giant geeky geography side just had to play with some of these numbers and maps. If I were truly meant for academia, I'd bust out "R" and attempt to dazzle you with my statistical prowess, but alas, quantitative methods were never my thing--instead you get pretty-ish graphics. Some of them you'll have to click on to get a full view to see the actual detail.



From A to B:

Of the distances I've travelled, 83% has been done by plane on intercontinental flights. For internal travel, I've used cars, busses, trains, boats, and my bicycle. All up, I've travelled 54,000 km (enough to fully circumnavigate the globe and then some). For those of you out there without the math gene, of those kilometers, 45,000 were by plane. The number of trees I will have to plant to make up for this massive carbon footprint: debatable . . . air travel emissions per person per kilometer are difficult to calculate. They are affected by the length of flight, especially because a high percentage of emissions are caused by the initial take-off. It also differs by size of plane, etc. And let's not even think about type of tree, or length of tree life. So, stab in the dark estimation of 8000kg of CO2 emissions for my vehicular/plane travel on this trip, and stab in the dark estimation at 50 trees. Bring on a plantation woofing experience. Would love to hear from those more knowledgeable in this area--Kate? Simon? Figo? And I completely recognize the ambiguity of this kind of calculation (or lack of calculation in my case--as I attempted calculators and saw such variation that in the end I essentially made it up using dubious averages). Really, the best option is to minimize carbon output (the whole practice of tree planting as equal to output is kind of ridiculous, but better than nothing), and for that I hope that my recent bicycle travel is helping some, and that I continue with that mode of transportation when possible, and when not, take the train.

The Lat and the Long of it:

Vertically I've been from 47 degrees south on Stewart Island in New Zealand, to 52.5 degrees North in Berlin, Germany. I've crossed the equator four times, twice by plane, twice by bus.

I started at a longitude of 77 degrees West  in Washington DC, crossed over the 180 degree mark (or International Date Line), where on one side you are the first to get the start of each day, and on the other, the last to start each day. I reached New Zealand at 175 East, Bangkok at 100 E (marking half way around the world from where I started), New Delhi at 77 E, Berlin at 13 E, Lille at 3 E. I crossed the Greenwich Meridian on my way to Biarritz on the train from Paris at 1.6 West, and crossed back to on my bicycle on the way to Treziers at 2 East, and now I'm in Istanbul at 29 East.

Clearly not the most efficient way to traverse the globe, but surely diverse geographically.

How high?

On my bicycle I reached 450 meters in elevation. This may not seem high to you (and it isn't, really), but when I looked out over the rolling foothills of the Pyrenees, it was with a feeling of accomplishment. During my travels I have been at sea level, right on the beach on the island of Ko Russei in Cambodia. I have been below sea level in Holland. Approximately a third of the country lies below sea level at high tide, and is only saved from flooding by an extensive dike system. I have been in the foothills of the Himalayas in Manali, India at 1,950 meters, at the base of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania and in the foothills of the Pyrenees in France.

The Many Firsts:
  • First Dung Beetle sighting
  • First Lion sighting
  • First time camping by myself (not in the proximity of lions)
  • Two new continents (Africa and Europe)
  • First time I have cycled more than 50km in a day
  • First time I have cycle-toured
  • First time I have self-propelled myself across a country
  • First sleeper train experience
  • First time woofing
  • First time tending to a hive of bees
  • And about a million other things


Educationally speaking:

I've also had a lot of down time, time to reflect and read and listen and watch. In this time I've undertaken a kind of education of my own selection. Thanks to the wonders of kindle and my ipod, and free classics, I've read Thoreau, Dickens, Keats, Whitman, Austen, Alcott, Louis Stevenson, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Lewis Caroll, E.E. Cummings, Mary Shelly, Sir Saint Thomas More, Frances Hodgson Burnett, and thanks to the world network of travelers exchanging books I've read Coehle, Bryson, McCourt, Shreve, Potok, and more. I've tried to read new books, local books, strange books, as well as classics. I've drawn, painted, crafted, and sewn. I have taken 3,153 photographs. Thank god for digital cameras.

On my ipod I have watched 107 Ted Talks, the great thinkers, scientists, organizers, and artists of our generation. I am more interested in solutions than in problems. I've heard enough about problems to last my lifetime, I think. There are more than 900 of these talks available for free as podcasts on iTunes, or on the web--so I think I have enough to entertain myself for awhile.

I've listened (and talked along) to 121 French podcasts, many while cycling mile after mile. I've read books in French, and talked about globalization, climate change, poverty, racism, marriage, children, literature, beekeeping, cooking, music, art, and philosophy in French (albeit stilted).

I've seen where kings and queens stood, where wars were fought, where pilgrims walked and artists painted. The stories of my childhood are coming to life, accompanied by color and sound, smells and tastes.

I've cooked and eaten and purchased foods I'd never thought of before or knew existed. My taste buds have expanded exponentially. I wish I'd kept track of the number of different types of cheeses I've tried, but at this point it's just ridiculous. I've gardened and tended to bees, processed honey, pollen, and royal jelly. I've selected spices from the alleys of New Delhi, carried them to Kenya, and cooked with them in Berlin.

The ups and the downs:

At times I am tired. At times I am lonely. I've had uncountable mosquito bites, several bad sunburns, 14 bee stings, my first blisters and callouses farming, an encounter with dubious cheese, and a little finger that goes numb after a few days of cycling. I've been so cold in my tent on one occasion that I wore all of my clothes, and so hot in a beach bungalo that I've worn none.  I've worn clothes that were washed by hand (mine) and probably would not qualify as clean. I've had all sorts of interrupted nights in hostels--snorers, partiers, early morning flight transfers. But at all times I am in awe of this experience, thankful for the opportunities that I am presented with and excited by the unfolding of each day. I think I can safely say that six months has passed well, and that this experiment in living has been successful. I've even come in under budget--it is doable, and more than worth it. Let's hope the next six months are as fabulous, and that I continue to enjoy each day as much as I have thus far.


Have I done what I came to do?

If we look back at my initial aims, in an earlier blogpost, you can see that I had four goals for this voyage.
1. To be bilingual
2. To be able to grow my own food and keep bees
3. To survive biking long distance and camping by myself
4. To gain a sense of scale, perspective, and understanding of the world

I'm working hard on number one, but am by no means there (the more I learn, the less I think I know). Waiters and waitresses still frustratingly reply to me in English, however I have had my first experience in a hostel where someone asked me a question in English and I replied in French without thinking. I've definitely learned lots more about number two, and am excited about the food, and warily respectful but still very interested in the bees. I really liked tending to them by the end, and as you can see from my graph, I got a bit better at it. I think I can check off number three successfully, and while I think number four is a lifelong goal, I would say I've added hugely to this over the last six months. Good start, I say. Now bring on all the comments about my ridiculousness for quantifying this experience :)

9 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how much I love this, both the content and the form!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I was going to say the exact same thing as above! This post is awesome. What program did you use for those little maps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, this is lovely :-) Were you tracking a lot of this data as you went? (Type of sleeping abode, etc) or did you tally it up in retrospect? And yes, what program did you use for your maps? They're lovely!

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skype or gmail chat me and we'll talk carbon amongst other things. Nice six-month stocktake and summary, I like your style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great summary of your last six-months, Mary. A good example of what goal-setting, planning, determination and courage can accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all. I do love messing around with this stuff.

    Maps were actually just made in Illustrator. I imported a base map, then added the point and line data myself (cross-checking against google maps). Not extremely accurate, but visually clear/simple.

    Erin, I started tracking data about 2 months in and back-dated it. I also had a number of other things that I kept track of too, just out of interest (didn't make the cut).

    Simon, would love to. Not giving any hints as to whether 50 trees is ridiculous or not, huh? Probably will have to wait until after Turkey, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat to read. You made me appreciate all that geography is all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greeting from BKK :)
    Thank you for such a nice visit as that is your offering for me to join the long path of learning from your interested blog. The ways you walk on the world and uncover things and share to others are appreciated. Keep walking and hope to see you in the future naka.

    Cheers
    ning

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss Mary it makes me so happy to see you enjoying your time and making every moment so rich. Keep it up! I am thoroughly impressed with all the biking and camping...and the extensive reading! This is a good reminder for us to try and make our "regular" "everyday" lives more of an adventure, too! xo!
    ~toni

    ReplyDelete