Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ko Russei, Cambodia

After a few busy days exploring temples, I decided to go check out Cambodia's coast. It's supposed to be much less busy than Thailand, and at least for now, that's true.

My bus took me to Sihanouk Ville. I don't have much good to say about Sihanouk Ville, except that they have a nice internet cafe, which I'm utilising right now. From what I gather, large numbers of tourists have been relatively new to Sihanouk Ville, and as a result it is a coastline under construction. In the last year and a half a whole number of hotels, bars and restaurants have sprung up. It is also ripe with locals pressuring you to buy their goods.

I only stayed in Sihanouk Ville waiting for a few hours for my boat, and traipsed immediately out to the island Russei, to the resort Ko Ru. The boat ride was fun, and to disembark we tumbled into the surf, as there's no pier. Make sure to waterproof your valuables just in case.



Ko Ru is on the quiet side of the island, and is the only "resort" there. It is quiet, and has a nice atmosphere of fun, but relaxation. Accommodation in the dorm bungalows was $3 a night, and there-and-back boat trip was only $10.


I spent my days reading multiple books, napping, eating, swimming (the water is lovely), playing volleyball, meeting new friends, and sitting by the bonfire listening to tunes on a guitar. It was hard to leave. As long as mass commerce doesn't make its way out there, I'd recommend it to anyone. The food was great, and both the western and Khmer staff seemed to be having fun, and genuinely enjoying each other. In the evenings the locals would come hang out and enjoy the beach with us.


The place was a bit of a menagerie, with chickens, goats, dogs, and lizards running about the place. Watch out for the largest goat, it likes to play. I woke up to the sound of the surf and chattering monkeys in the trees in the morning, and dogs running around the bungalow playing--our bungalow had a door installed on the last night I stayed there, but we didn't use it anyways.


At night, the beach is perfect for sunsets. It's also nice for night swimming . . . the water retains its heat, and it's great to swim under the stars. If you move your hands through the water you disturb tiny creatures that are phosphorescent, so the bubbles appear to glow.


Perfect :)



On our way back to the mainland, I think we were all a little sad to be leaving.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - this place sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? I'm so glad I went. Definitely recommended. All it needed was a frisbee and someone to throw with, and I would have been in bliss :)

    ReplyDelete