Thursday, March 3, 2011

It's all go: Bangkok

After a bumpy time trying to get out of New Zealand (including not being allowed to check in until phone calls and faxes and parents and whathaveyou confirmed my credit card was actually my credit card--with 30 minutes before takeoff) I cruised into Bangkok and settled in nicely.

I was slightly worried when the two questions the woman at the front desk of my hostel asked me were "do you drink" and "do you have a boyfriend." Hmmm. But, really, it's been a really nice and clean place to stay, with great access to the BTS sky train. And internet and aircon that works. All a girl could ask for.

Yesterday I explored the area I'm staying in, Chong Nonsi, the Chao Phraya river, the Grand Palace, took a wander down Khao San Road, and had dinner with Ken and his friend with a view of a thunderstorm over the city.

 They rather like gold at the Grand Palace


Became obsessed with the restoration work going on, especially the beautiful trees being painted.



And then realized that the trees were so amazing, because the real trees were so interesting to look at.

Rehydrated with a coconut.

Took  a water taxi from the BTS sky train to the Grand Palace and back.


Was too busy catching up and eating great Thai food to get photos with Ken. And that's my day in Bangkok :)

Don't expect such prompt blogging in the future. This is a total anomaly.


3 comments:

  1. Oh I've been there, too! It's so ornate and intricate and amazing. Your pics are so great. I may ask you if I can snag a few to show students of different places around the world. I'll ask and always give you proper credits, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can send you a photo of me if you want ;)

    ReplyDelete