Sunday, March 6, 2011

Holy Khao, What a Great Cooking Class :)

Oh dear. The punning has begun.


I spent my last day in Thailand (yes I know, I'm out of order again) going to the most wonderful cooking class ever. You'd never expect it, especially as it's in the heart of Khao San Road. But, it was absolutely perfect, with the most knowledgeable, extremely professional chef leading the class.


Ning, our chef, was not only a great teacher and advocate for the traditional thai arts, but is studying (a Master's?) using anthropology to look at the changing face of thai cuisine and how culture change is changing the traditional recipes and taste buds of today's Thais. It goes without saying that it was fascinating. Ning's mother (The head of the Khao Cooking School) seems like she might be a force to be reckoned with--demanding the best, having trained at the same place that trained the Royal Thai chefs, and having led a very successful career as a chef and cooking author.




I learned, cooked, and ate to my heart's content. A wonderful way to spend the afternoon.

National geographic peeps . . . I think this girl has what it takes to be a young/emerging explorer. Get onto that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment