Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Timing is everything!

Due to an early warm patch throughout Europe, springtime came early to the Netherlands. I missed <giant sad face> the big fields of tulips grown commercially for bulbs. There were remnants here and there, but that only served to reinforce my desire to see them someday. Luckily, there are many more opportunities for this, and it's good to have these things to look forward to. The following are the patches I saw here and there. Most had already been decapitated (when growing for bulbs, the flower is beheaded early on so the bulb will get more nutrients).




However, some gardens were still in bloom, and the parents (we overlapped here for two days as we travelled in different directions--so nice!) and I rode our bikes 40km round trip to see some of the best. I still got to use my tulip wow-face. The ride itself was beautiful (especially on the way there as we followed canal paths).



The gardens we visited are called Kukenhof, and are full of tulips. They also had amazing azaleas that were blooming perfectly for us.







I like this last picture, because I think that the people look like tulips popping up out of the ground. Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment