Monday, May 2, 2011

Ich bin ein Berliner

Whew. Well, I made it to Europe. It is so lovely to see my big brother, and be amongst friends. I made many lovely friends along my travels in Asia and Africa, but there is nothing like someone who has known you forever, can anticipate your menu choices (helpful when they're in a language you don't read), and will always finish whichever Mario Brothers tune you start humming.


Berlin is an amazing city, full of life, history, art and music. It is one of the most affordable capital cities in Europe, and as a result boasts many artists. It also seems to be full of contradictions--spotless metro cars, a plethora of graffiti, fitness-focused/bike riding residents who eat predominantly meats and cheeses and rich breads :) I knew there was a reason I was going to Europe--and that is the cheese. So many kinds. So affordable. So good.

In celebration of this love of cheese, Andrew, Anne, and I went out for fondue on my first night in town. A lovely night of conversation and dairy products. If only I could get them to play telephonictionary with me.



Andrew and I also meandered past the remnants of the Berlin Wall, and looked at the artworks there. There's definitely a lot of history to explore in this city, and a lot to remember about a past that is so full and long . . .  of good and bad . . . but for now, to start with, I'm just going to enjoy spending time with Andrew, his lovely and accommodating flatmates, and the Muras sisters :)




3 comments:

  1. Wow! Where was that last mural? I can't even BEGIN to imagine ANYTHING like that in any public space in the US. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? It was just one of many paintings along the remaining parts of the Berlin wall, but is quite famous, or so I've been told. Very interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the last mural "among this mortal love". So Russian!!

    ReplyDelete