Thursday, April 14, 2011

Things we take for granted.

Laundry.

I will be happy to do my laundry for the rest of my life. Or at least until I get complacent and forget how wonderful a washer and dryer really is. A bucket of lukewarm water, some shampoo/soap . . . clothes detergent if I'm really lucky, and a questionably clean bathroom is where I did most of my washing in Asia. On arrival at Diana's palace in Nairobi (no, that isn't a typo), doing my laundry in an actual machine made me giggle out loud. This seems to be a theme for me. I hope that travelling by myself doesn't lead to a debilitating social disorder whereby I giggle to myself constantly.


Peanut Butter.

My first peanut butter in over a month. I don't think this has happened since I started eating peanut butter as a small child. This too led to giggling, albeit a sticky-mouthed giggling.

A full night's sleep.

After overnight buses, and hostels with winning combinations of late and early risers, construction on buildings, time changes, early flights, and power outages that led to no air conditioning, I was so excited to sleep in a wonderful clean bed in a cool, dark, quiet room, that I temporarily forgot I was in Africa, and took a Mary-Day. Slept in, did my laundry, went to the grocery store, ate my peanut butter, cooked, ate some more, read books, watched movies, and slept some more.

Then, I realized I was in Africa--what the heck was I doing! Laundry can wait. There are zebras to befriend.

TMI: Clear Snot.

The pollution and dust of Asia and Africa has given me a greater appreciation for clear snot. I could do with never having black substances in my nose ever again. Yep. I told you it was a too much information moment. Bob--are you proud of me? Although, it's not a Thursday.

3 comments:

  1. I remember the snot thing. Something people just don't talk about. Kinda scary at first, then you realize that's just the way it's gonna be.

    ReplyDelete