Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hey sister, you got a pen?

Well, Diana warned me. The Masai Market in Nairobi was quite something.


The vendors put on the hard sell as soon as you appear to think about walking in their direction. It was really difficult to look at what they were selling, because they were so busy pushing you to buy, that you couldn't actually look at what they had in their stalls.

The aim of the game was bargaining, and everyone wanted to know if you had a pen, so that you and the vendor could alternately write down your prices and haggle until you came to an agreement on the carving, necklace, knife, painting, bag, placemat of your choice. I actually would have loved to buy a few things--the Tingatinga paintings were beautiful, and very affordable . . . but I got so overwhelmed that I booked it out of there. I appreciate that they're making their living, but it was a little too much for me!



I think if I were a New Yorker, I could have managed it . . . Dunedin did not really prepare me to be a bargainer or deal with people pestering me nonstop. Plus, the knowledge that anything I buy then has to be carried or mailed has been great for curbing my already minimal purchasing impulses.

2 comments:

  1. I bought some tinga tingas, they're so pretty and colorful, but then again, I had luggage. I think you have to go repeatedly to be able to withstand that kind of crowd. Eventually I had to be pretty direct and ignore the requests to look at things. I felt rude, but it seemed to work. It is very overwhelming at first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll end up trying to paint my own in the tinga tinga style. Not the same, but hey--you do what you can. Everything is an experience, and you're right--if you are somewhere for awhile you get used to it and adapt. I even managed to get used to Delhi.

    ReplyDelete