Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Marco. Polo.

On a mission for spices, on my last day in India, I took a trip into Old Delhi. Khari Baoli is Delhi's renowned and ancient spice market. Piles of cumin, chili, cardoman, masala mix, etc. are displayed on every corner.




The smell of spices was so thick at times, that I started to sneeze uncontrollably. Saffron is the spice market's gold, and was only available by request--hidden in a secret stash by the vendor.

In addition to spices, this seemed to be the area to go to for nuts and dried fruits. Everything is sold by weight (rupees per kg)--even all of the spices. None of those piddly grams or ounces here.





The process seemed to be everywhere. I even saw one woman sifting spices while sitting in the middle of the street.



Having paid out all of my remaining spare rupees, I took a slight deviation to look at the cloth/silk section of Old Delhi, then I hopped back on the metro, spices in hand, ready to shift continents and explore Kenya. I do love all the colours in this country. I'm determined to bring colour into my life even more, wherever that may be.



No comments:

Post a Comment