Friday, April 29, 2011

For those future travellers out there.

I spent a good year collecting and refining and sewing the gear that I've taken on this trip. But I went a little overboard, and I'm sure you could do it all in a week. When I started out, my pack weighed 10kg (22 pounds). With food and presents and toiletries, etc. it has fluctuated, but stayed pretty stable. This is on the light side for most tourists--especially ones travelling as long as I will be, but heavier than those who are interested in ultra light backpacking.

I'm posting this because I bothered everyone I knew (thank you especially to Kate!) who had travelled for long periods of time as to what was really necessary on a trip. Of course it all depends on the season/climate of the places you're going, and the activities you're going to undertake, but as I was going to cover such a large area and so many different seasons and climates, and hopefully do so many different things, my pack might be a good place to start for a general idea. Later, much of this will be transferred to panniers for the biking portion of this adventure, and a tent will be added into the mix.

Basically, I weighed everything I was thinking of taking individually, and tried to cut it down to as little as I could and still enjoy myself. The main items are backpack, tent (if you're camping--not shown here), sleeping bag, mat and sheet, a hammock (late addition thanks to my lovely workmates at National Geographic), a cooking pot, mug, knife/fork/spoon, plate, gas canister, first aid kit.

I can't be bothered going through the first aid kit--the items are fairly standard. I wrapped duct tape around a container, and that has been very useful at times. My sewing kit also lives in here. But the most helpful thing I did was sew it up into a foldable set, and put it into a dry bag.

Clothing consists of one pair of jeans, a belt, three singlets, one short sleeved t-shirt (I would take two if doing it again, and probably will acquire another somewhere), a long sleeved shirt, two light dresses, merino long winter underwear, one jersey, a warm but light puffy jacket, a rain jacket, rain pants, a rain skirt, a scarf, a warm hat, a sun hat, swimming suit, underwear, socks, light hiking shoes, sandals, and light slip ons (these are for formal occasions, and for religious sites that require closed-toe shoes). I also acquired and abandoned local clothes in India. Make sure that everything can be mixed and matched in all combinations, and hopefully can be used in many different levels of formality and weather. Layering is key. Also, you don't need all new things--they're going to get wrecked anyway--one of my favourite items is a merino jersey that has been sewed/fixed in at least 8 places over the last 10 years; it's comfortable and warm, and I don't have to worry about ruining it.

Random extras include all of my paper work--insurance info, flight print outs, mug shots for visas, an international driver's license, vaccination information, etc., toiletries for the evening--toothpaste etc., and two locks to secure my bag to racks on trains/close hostel lockers, a carabiner or two for those unexpected add-ons.

My day bag has a drink bottle, waterproof journal, pencil, pen, day toiletries (including hand sanitizer, wet wipes, sunscreen, bug repellent, deodorant, stain remover spray, chapstick, malaria pills and toilet paper). I also kept in a dry bag my ipod touch, camera, and all the fittings that go along with those--including plug adapters for all countries, a head torch, whistle/compass, a bag for groceries, and my sunglasses, and whatever book I'd acquired at the time. At all times I wore my money, debit card and passport in a money belt.


As for specific parts of my trip and the things I wished I'd had/tips for others:
  • If you're on safari bring a good camera with a zoom and binoculars--mail the binoculars home if you don't want to carry them for the rest of the trip (or do what I did, and steal the binoculars from your safari buddy, and use them in conjunction with your camera to take pictures of the animals from far away). 
  • Don't ever try to wash your hair with just soap for more than a day--there's a reason shampoo was invented--buy it, and use it. Otherwise your hair will end up looking like a ken doll.
  • If you're an artist, take some art supplies. I've been hankering for water colours and paper--my journal and pencil just aren't cutting it (I should have listened to you, Danny!)
  • Organizational bags (dry/compression/other) are amazing.
  •  Don't bring a wallet if the clothes you brought don't have pockets (this one applies to women mainly, and makes me feel like railing on at the fashion industry)
  • Bring clothing with pockets.
  • If you do use dry bags, make sure you close them, otherwise they don't work :)
    I think that's about it. I hope that's helpful for any of you planning trips in the near future.

    Good luck!

    6 comments:

    1. Nice list, Mary. I'm pretty sure I remember that Merino top you're referring to: standard Mär-wear in rainy-Eugene back in the day. This is also helpful to make me feel like less of an anal-retentive boob over my month-plus packing for a climbing trip I have coming up. Then again, I'm only gone for two days, you're carrying a year on your back...

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks, JB :) Yep, I definitely wore this jersey back in Eugene. I took it to another level--I had spreadsheets. Where are you going climbing?! Fun!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Cool Mary, thanks! Curious: how are you planning on refilling your toiletries, since you'll be bound to run out of travel sizes before your year is up. Also, are you mailing a tent and panniers, or planning on purchasing while you're there? I actually had to purchase a tent in Europe once, when the tent I took with me got lost on the plane. I'm sure it was partly luck, but I found an absolutely wonderful wonderful tent that I love and still use today for far cheaper than I could have found an equivalent in the US.

      ReplyDelete
    4. My personal favorite is the mug with measurements marked out.

      P.s. I should have taken my own advice. The size of my pack right now is embarrassing! 60L pack full to the brim… probably about 35lbs I hardly have any clothes - what do you do with tent, sleeping bag, thermorest, mask, snorkel and fins??? I'm glad I just have to get it to the boat. (The captain will probaly throw some of it overboard)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Erin, I bought all of the bike things here in Berlin... I didn't own them already, so it wasn't such a big deal. And just coincidentally I'm going to cross paths with my parents for a day or two right at the start of my trip, so they are bringing my tent. It would have definitely been a pain through Asia and Africa.

      Kate! I forgot to explain the cup! Good addition. You'll be on a boat, so it doesnt matter :) gah! So excited for you! When is *your* blog starting up? :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. Ooh, and as for refilling toiletries, I've been really light on what I've brought (sunscreen, shampoo and toothpaste are basically the only ones I've had to replace) . . . when I'm somewhere where I know people (Kenya, Berlin) . . . I refill from their supplies, and bake a pie or something for them, but I have had to buy mini toothpastes (I have no idea how you'd refill those).

      ReplyDelete