Friday, January 28, 2011

It's really really real (C'est vraiment très réel)

On Tuesday I took the commuter flight to Wellington in order to plead my case to the French, that I'd be a great addition to their country for a year. I made sure to dress "French." I arrived 45 minutes early in my excitement. The woman at the desk asked me if I didn't want to go for un café and come back later when I'd actually be seen. I said I was fine, and sat in their waiting room reading my book . . . excitement probably palpable. An hour and a quarter later I was out of there, with a beautiful addition to my passport . . . the working holiday visa (vacances travail). From May 20, 2011 to May 20, 2012 I am able to live and work in France. What I'm going to do there, is anybody's guess.

Ideas? Friends of friends to visit? Places I just cannot go without seeing? Job prospects (to be truthful, I mainly see myself working on farms and vineyards and meandering around, but if any of you NG people have contacts at National Geographic France--now's the time to let me know)?

After this, I decided to celebrate Kiwi-style with a steak and cheese pie, and a visit to Te Papa (New Zealand's Smithsonian, I guess).


The long-term Mana Whenua exhibit, and the Maori carvings you find there are always some of my favourites. A neat addition (or one I hadn't seen before) were How-to videos on using traditional Maori tools and carving wood, stone, and bone. Made the pieces in the exhibit much more concrete yet even more amazing.  I also thought the Earthquake exhibit was fantastic. Not thoroughly convinced by the 12 minute "Golden Days" film, although may be an insightful view into the New Zealand Psyche--for good or for bad.

Can't leave you without a map . . . this one a beautiful floor map with New Zealand as the center of the world. As it should be.

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on France, Mary! I have a good friend who lives in Paris - would be happy to put you in touch if you like.
    The map is gorgeous. The Museum of Natural History could take a cue -- they have a digital world map showing population growth over time and New Zealand is nowhere to be found!
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have to parle francais in order to get the work visa Mary? That would intimidate me. Anywho, I studied for a semester in Montpellier in the South, would definitely recommend a stop through there if you've got the time. Although quite frankly I really want to see Dordogne and the Alsace regions, so I'm not of much help! Awesome floor map, can you name that projection?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, purdy map. Congrats Mary!! (This is Erin M. by the way, the silly comments make me identify as my google screen name)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Mary! So exciting! Jerry has some buddies in Paris, let me know if you want to get in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess and Robin (and Jerry): Thank you so much! I think I have Paris covered (that is the week I get to meet my parents and have them bank-role a non-tent-based/hostel/couch surfer/friends of friends existence) . . . however, it is very probable that later on in the year I'll be going back through, so if I find out that's the case, I'll definitely take you up on your kind offers.

    Rosemary: putting me on the spot, jeez :) All I know (or think I know) is it is some sort of azimuthal projection. I don't know the specifics, if there are any?

    Erin: Thanks! Wish we'd overlapped in Portland. Hope the move back was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. mi bella amiga....abrazos de la paz, baja! i'm so excited for your adventures in France. i remember so many dc hikes where we both shared our hope to live somewhere else, speak a different language, and experience life. well, i'm in mexico and you are off to france! i so wish our adventures would overlap at some point...one never knows. i didn't know you were going to work there, and for a full year!!! yipeeee. sending you my warmest congratulations. xoxox jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I have so many places you would love! Lyon is beautiful, has fantastic food and is a good city base for travelling. I once heard it described as the "carrefour d'europe". Also Nimes (and le pont du gard, astonishing) and Carcasonne. If it's summer, there's also a gorgeous little lakeside place called Annecy in the SouthEast. Ooooh I wish I was coming with you! xxoo Ps Sorry so slow to read and catch up on all your blogs...they're merveilleux!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Danny and Samara!
    I didn't see either of your posts.

    Samara--I'm so glad you gave me some of your suggestions! I will make sure to check them out. I wish you were coming with me too. On that note, you should! Vacation time :) The rule is french speaking, however, which I'm sure you'd handle 100 times better than I will. I'm determined, though!

    I miss you guys.
    M

    ReplyDelete