Thursday, January 20, 2011

And so it starts.

Kia Ora everyone.

I arrived into Auckland on Wednesday, temperature 22 degrees (into the 70s) wearing two jerseys, a woollen jacket, scarf, and snowboots. . . all in the name of transporting more possessions from one continent to the other.

Being a New Zealander, I refused to take the free shuttle provided for foreigners, and (still wearing my snowboots) tramped along the blue and white lines meandering past cargo holds and airport hangars along the inter-terminal walkway. That little bubble of laughter rising in me as I considered how silly I looked, and how unthinkable this type of walk would be in so many other security-laden airports in this world.

Home at the parents, I've already been to a 10:00am tea, bikkies and movie at the Rialto with my parents and the Kanes. The King's Speech. Highly recommend it. I've dug garlic; it's waiting to dry and be braided. I've made a latticed rhubarb and strawberry pie out of rhubarb from my mum's garden, and strawberries from the farmer's market. I've slept. Played sudoku. Basically I've aged an extra 35 years and am living out my retired years in style. Look for me at the church fair, I'll be the one with the doilies.


View travelling mary's Big Adventure in a larger map

3 comments:

  1. M.C! I am so excited to subscribe to your blog... safe travels & a skype date is definitely in store for us. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay mary! you crack me up... i am visualizing you with doilies, actually, you knitting doilies. oh i am going to miss you girl, lets find somewhere to meet up along the way! enjoy every moment xo jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kids!

    Anne--I love the idea of a skype date. It's on :) Maybe even later on today (I am off to Wellington to get travel visas, but might be able to fit it in beforehand).

    Jablonski--Soo glad my folder has been helpful, and I can't wait to see what you find out. Such an interesting study!

    Jen--We'd better :) I'd love to travel with you. You'd point out all the lovely creepy crawlies and creatures that I miss by ambling happily along oblivious to the ecosystem around me. Keep me in the loop as you know the directions you'll be going. HUG!

    ReplyDelete